PUBLIC ENEMY NO. 1

Every week, around 500 plus people are knocked out by this little pesky bugger, aka Aedes mosquito, in Singapore. Hospitals are getting so crowded with dengue fever patients that Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan has made a statement that all non-critical surgery will be postponed in public hospitals in order to free up space for a potential surge of dengue patients in the coming weeks.

Personally, I also have a bone to pick with this insect. Firstly, my housing estate falls within one of the identified dengue hotzones. Tough luck. Anyway, blocks just a street away have been declared as a dengue affected zones. So, my family are at risk. Secondly, my dad recently developed high fever and a horrible rash on his ankle. We were quite worried that it was dengue fever since rashes and inflammation are symptoms of this viral infection. A blood test at the polyclinic cleared my dad of the infection. But the rash has not subsided. So, we are still kind of worried. The only thing we can do now is to make sure that we take extra precaution and immediately see a doctor if we start exhibiting symptoms common to dengue fever.

Now, at the more macro leve, we, as in Singaporeans, have been exhorted by the authorities, namely MOH, to play our role as responsible citizens, to look out for any potential mosquito breeding areas and take the necessary actions to clean up the place. Rationale is that these pesky little creatures have an effective range of around 100 plus metres, and if all of us do our part, Singapore will be aedes-free.

I think that we should all play a part in this battle. At our level, we should check that all the water collection plates of our potted plants are drained frequently. Containers holding water in the open should be covered properly. For landed properties, owners should check their drainage, roofs and ledges that could collect water. If not for the public, owners should do this for their own families. I believe these actions should put a dent on the dengue scourge. However, I think the Town Councils should take on a more active role too. Frankly, I have not heard the hums of thermal fogging in my neighbourhood for months. This is puzzling especially when I live around the 'hot' zones. The only consolation is that fogging could be carried out during the weekdays while I am at work. But if that's the case, how is it possible that there are still mosquitoes, of the non-aedes type, feeding on my blood while I sleep. Go figure.

While I fully support the above public initiatives, I am also worried about the potential erosion of privacy which can happen due to this development. Well, my concern basically stems from a statement contained in Mr Khaw's anti-aedes speech. Basically, he thinks that mosquitoes could be breeding in houses that have been left vacant for extended periods of time. And since no one could access these houses, he mooted the possibility of giving enforcement agencies the power to 'access' (for me, break into) those vacant houses.

I think such a legislation is too extreme for my liking. How can the state be given powers, or even harbour the thought, to enter the private homes of the citizens. To me, privacy is a sacred right that all citizens should have. Unless it is an emergency situation, where martial law has already been enacted, then I would more than readily agree to such a legislation. But to forcibly enter our home, albeit legally for a reason as insignificant as this, is not right. Our rights to privacy should be respected.

If such a legislation can be pushed through the parliament so easily, what's there to stop the government from pushing through more draconian laws, in the name of public safety and welfare. The government should review all possible solutions before even considering such a drastic act. For example, have they considered whether increased thermal fogging at the surrounding premises of these vacant homes would be effective against the aedes mosquitoes?

I would rather pay a little more, as if there's a need to, income tax to pay for this, than to have a law which essentially allows legal access into my home whenever the government thinks there's some insect breeding in it. I would feel violated at a very basic level if my home is ever forcibly accessed for the name of 'public good'.

  • Eh, forcibly accessed. Hmm. I think my family experienced that once. Probably not blatantly forciibly but implicitly forcibily. Those officials from the National Environment Agency? came and requested checkin out my house for aedes mosquitoes or their larva. The only thing missing was a search warrant. They were like all over the place man. I can't remember if they found any crime scene evidence but they did caution us.

    I haven't been hearing any noisy fogging activity. Its wierd that its stopped suddenly when it is so much needed at this point of time. I think its a conspiracy theory!! I recieved a note the other day casually informing residents that they will be fined if any aedes activity is found within the premises. Maybe they stop fogging so that the chances of slapping us with those fines would be higher. The govt would then be laughing all their way to the bank.

  • Oh and I hope your dad is fine.

  • Sounds like a very plausible conspiracy. I wouldn't be surprised. The amount of money they can earn from us by fining us rather than spending it on public services. You see, they rather make us fall sick and earn our money at the hospitals then to employ loads of workers to fog the entire Singapore, which would be cheaper than all the combined medical expenses. Sheesh, we are both very cynical.

    Thanks for your concern. My dad is fine now. Think he was bitten by some poisonous insect. The swelling and rash is gone. Kind of scary.