An Indian Rojak Dinner Mydaemon has been putting in the hours at office for the last few weeks. Guess that's sort of a payback for all the hours we slack throughout the year. Cooking was not possible since we reach home rather late, and sandwiches for dinner don't really appeal to her. So, we have been eating out rather frequently over the past week. Being ever the foodie, I have been pining for the sinful meal for quite some time. Here's how I would define sinful foods. Sinful: Any food items that contain hazardous levels of fats, oil, cholesterol, and anything that tastes good but is essentially unhealthy. Read char kway teow, Indian rojak, fried Hokkien mee, roti prata (Field Marshal's favourite), KFC, cheesecakes, coffee - cafe mocha, curry, sweetcakes.... SEDAP!!! My mouth is starting to water just looking at the words. Oops, there goes a stray drip of saliva. Slurp. Ok, back to last night's dinner. After all the hard work, Mydaemon decided that we should have Indian Rojak for dinner. YIPPEE!!!!!!! Having to contain my elation, since performing somersaults and running around like crazy ain't possible in the car, I just said, sure. Don't want to show too much enthusiasm, and have my rojak meal 'revoked'. Once the car was parked, my internal gastronomic radar was switched on to full power. Homing in to the fume emitted by the boiling oil, reused countless of days, used to fry the heavenly little buggers - the rojak, I calculated the shortest trajectory to the rojak stall, with Mydaemon in tow that is. Here again, I had to contain my enthusiasm. Not very sightly to see a full-grown man in smart office attire dashing like a lunatic for something as simple as Indian rojak. Every step was a test of my sheer willpower. It was a conscious effort to keep my legs from running away from me. With much self-control, we finally arrived at the stall. Boy, the sight was heavenly. Laid out nicely in front of me were neat rows fried Indian rojak. Only my lack of Indian vocabluary prevents me from naming the tasty treats staring at me. Mama, I am in heaven. For those who love Indian rojak, you have to try this wonderful stall. It's located at the Ayer Rajah Hawker Centre. Look for stall number 69. The number of the stall is a coincidence, and have nothing to do with any aphrodisiac effects of the rojak. :P Was at a loss on what I should order. I wanted to eat EVERYTHING!!! Again, losing self-control in front of Mydaemon is a definite no-no. Calling down every single ounce of self-control, I started picking off the mouth-watering items onto my plate. Did anyone tell you that choosing the food items from an Indian rojak stall is therapeutic? Try it and you know what I am talking about. The first thing on the plate was this huge fried sotong. Following that, the floodgates opened. In quick succession, I filled the plate with goodies, which I have not names for. Basically, these include those kosong long fair ones, oranged coloured ones stuff with hardboiled eggs and potatoes, tau gua, and tempe. In the end, we ordered $9.50 worth of Indian rojak. And as the saying goes, the rest is history. Burp!

  • Ooh. My mom is a big fan of rojak too but I think she likes the Chinese kind? With the pineapple, cucumber and peanut sauce.

  • I love that too! The salty prawn sauce that use to stir and mix all the ingredients is simply finger licking good. Fried fritters taste just heavenly in Chinese Rojak.

  • Wah lau...i just finished my miserable dinner of fried bee hoon, with 3 pieces of orh hiang...thanks har...

  • Well, take it as the appetizer before the big meal. Go fine yourself some good foodo this evening or the weekend. :)

  • He he... sorry to 'tekan' Luna Esa again. Justhad a wonderful Japanese dinner last night. See the latest blog. :D