Ever Expanding Sidebar I think the sidebar is the greatest invention after blogs. Why do I say that? Well, it is the only place on the blog where I can keep piling things into! For a HTML-idiot like me, it is a miracle that I have deciphered how to make simple alterations to the template. Once that 'talent', call me thick-skinned, is unlocked, things have never been the same again. Suffering the greatest abuse from my '皮毛' HTML skills, is my trusty sidebar. For those who have followed this blog (thanks for the support), you would have noticed that my sidebar has been getting 'fatter' vertically over the past 2-3 weeks. Today's latest addition is the Stuff I Want section. Basically, it will showcase some of the things that have caught my eye and plans are being made to 'procure' them. Ssssh.... don't let Mydaemon know since she's rather disapproving of me splurging on tech toys. Oops, forgotten she's linked to here. Hee Hee :P I know she will understand one lah. Right, dear? Anyway, what you will see listed there is the Zen Vision ($799) and the white Ipod ($528). Yes, both of them perform roughly the same functions. The only difference being that Zen Vision plays videos and have 10GB more space. But the price is $200 more too. As to why I want them. Well, I need storage for digital photos when I am overseas, being the trigger happy person that I am. Moreover, I am not willing to get a 1GB CF Card, which is prohibitively expensive and slows down the speed of the camera. So, I am looking at MP3 players that functions as a storage device as well as displays the photos I have taken. The contenders have always been clear. It is between the cool, and ever sexy, Ipod, or the new, and yes, hard to believe, sexy, Zen Vision, which comes in 2 colours, black or white. Since I am still recovering from the purchase of the Palm Tungsten E2s, my acquisition of a MP3 player, which is of very low priority, will have to wait. But at least this is something which I am looking forward to. I will be following up with a poll to let all of you vote on whether I should get Ipod or Zen Vision. But the decision of the buyer, that's me, will still be final regardless of the poll. But your votes may just swing my decision, which is currently tilting towatd Ipod. Last but not least, here are the contenders... On the left corner, Steve Job's ever cool and damn sexy IPOD!!!! On the right corner, we have Wong Hoo's up and come 'Ipod-killer' wannabe, the ZEN VISION (in black overalls)... Who will triumph? Will Wong Hoo's Zen Vision finally put a dent in the sexy white casing of Steve's Ipod? The saga continues.

  • I don't disapprove wat. As long as I also get a tech gadget every time you buy one! :P Anyway you should know me. I'm a techie as much as you. Except I'm more tight-fisted when it comes to such spending. Hmm iPod Photo looks really cool but think I still support Creative for features.

  • Thanks for the support dear. Will have to think hard on which gadget I will eventually get. Currently, Zen Vision is a tad too pricey at $799. Will only consider if the price drops to around $500+. Hopefully, Apple will come up with something similar to push down the prices. Competition is always good for us consumers.

  • eh...no offense, but i thought the Zen Vision look like a gigantic pager.
    Oh yeah, I have a friend working as a engineer in Creative. Mabbe can help you get some discounts..

  • Hmmm... now that you mentioned it, it sure does look like one. But when there's colour on the screen, it still look rather slick. Okie, will check with you, in many months time, if I am going to get Zen Vision (ZV). Thanks in advance!

  • Support local products!! Haha. I've got a soft spot for Creative products. I think its better in terms of functionality and features but loses out substantially when it comes to packaging, image-branding and user-friendliness. Its like Ericssion versus Nokia, you know what I mean? Got quite a couple of good reviews from friends using Creative MP3 players. Not sure about this Zen Vision though.

    I think its probably good to stretch the decision making process. Prices might drop nicely by then :)

  • By the way, did you read Tay Yak Keak's commentary about improving the local service industry in the Reflect section of Sunday Times? In his usual satirical manner, he used Owen's move to Newcastle as a model example of good service. Hilarious.

  • Just like you, I have the same soft spot for local products. That's also the reason why I, convinced Mydaemon, and bought a Zen Micro for her last year. And yes, I also understand the Nokia vs Sony Ericsson thingy. Afterall, my current hp is the k700i.

    However, I do not deny that I can be very shallow when it comes to choosing comsumer pdts. Ipod is really the 'creme de la creme' of MP3 players. All thoughts of functionality goes out the window when I lay eyes on the cool curves of the pearly white Ipod. I'd better stop this trend of thought if I still want to have a rationale decision between Zen and Ipod!

  • Nope I missed the article by Tay Yak Keak. But I managed to track it down today.

    Yup, the writer used Owen's transfer to good effect in bringing out his thoughts on service quality here.

    Thanks for sharing!