Oyishi!!! Watching Japan Hour on ChannelNewsAsia is an educational activity. Apart from being exposed to new yummy exotic live foodstuff, I also got to expand my Japanese vocabluary from two words, to three! Arigato and sayonara, were the first Japanese words I learnt. Oh yeah, just remembered that I know the word baka too. Although the latter is more of a derogatory term. Don't go around calling Japanese baka. They will give you a big baluku on your head! Ok, in view of the third word, the fourth Japanese word I learnt from CNA was OYISHI! At first, I have no idea what it meant. But this word was always spewed forth by the guests on the show after slurping down some tasty morsel or muching on something that looked really good. So, whenever the guest mouth the word, I immidiately looked at the English subtitles. Immediately, I saw this pattern. Guest: (Mouth full of food) OYISHI!!! Slurp, munch, swallow...
(Subtitles): DELICIOUS!!! I had the sensation of a bulb being switched on in a dark room - my head. So-deska.... (if that's correct). Since then, whenever I see food that looks tasty, I would exclaim to Mydaemon in with a greedy look and loudly exclaim OYISHI!!! Haha... Anyway, started off this blog with the title cos Mydaemon and I had a wonderful Japanese dinner yesterday. It was kind of a decadent decision on my part. But I just wanted to have a good meal with Mydaemon after the tough week she had at work. It was meant as sort of an surprise. The restaurant we went to is located at IMM. Called Hoshi, the place serves Japanese steamboat buffet, teppanyaki, and a la carte dished. The quality of the food here is not too bad. But I would consider it on the pricier side. Anyway, the money spent was worth it since we had a fabulous meal. Looking at the menu, I was spoilt for choice. Being a typical don (Japanese rice) person, I was debating between katsu don, unagi don, and oyaku don. There were also huge set meals which contained various meats. Being the more noodle person, Mydaemon zoomed in on the udons. After some serious consideration, for one should never be flippant when deciding on the food to please one's palate, I decided on this mega set. Wahahahaha.... Can't remember what's the Japanese name for it. But it contains, stir fried chicken in sweet suace (which I had no picture for)....
2 tempura prawns..... OYISHI!!!

followed by . . . unagi + rice. . . OOOOOOYISHI!!!

More excitement to come... CHAWANMUSHI... O.. O... O... OYISHIIIII!!!!!!

Haha... it must be easy to tell that I lurrrvvve Japanese food. It was a wonderful meal. I tucked into my dishes with relish. Yum, Yum! Oh, Mydaemon's food was also very 'oyishi'. She ordered for herself a bowl of tempura udon. That's the best picture I can find for her food. The real thing sure looks tastier than this.

Will bring my camera with me everywhere in the future so that I post the 'real deal' here.

  • Cool! I'm a sucker for Japanese food too. I love Oyako Don. You should check out this place at Tanglin Mall or Park Mall - Don Bistro. They serve Japanese food along with Indonesian, Korean, Thai and Italian at reasonable prices. The ramen is good. OyishiiI!!

  • Will definitely give Don Bistro a try. There's also a good Japanese restaurant in Cuppage Centre. But I can't remember the name. Most of the clients there were Japanese when I last visited. Will share the name with you after I bring Mydaemon there for our next Japanese dinner date. :)

  • Aiyah...tok about Japan...my Japan trip gone already lah...was thinking of going to japan in Dec with my mum & sisters but my dad just told us that he needs to go for an operation on his lower neck next week. This is very worrying cos' this is apparently a serious op.

  • And oh yar, you must say very loud 'ITADAKIMASU' before you start your meal. Every meal.