Hitting the Tracks Running Given the frequency in which I will be hitting the running tracks, I think I will only update the D-Days when I am out jogging with Summerbreeze and Shitake. Today, will be my third jogging session since Mydaemon and I started our permanent healthy lifestyle programme. Wide ranging changes have started to change various areas of our lives, from our diet to the frequency of our exercise sessions. Let me go back to the first jobbing session last Friday. It has been some time since I last jogged in any stadium. Thus, it was a refreshing change from pounding on the gym's treadmill or the gravel track around the Pandan Reservoir. Before I share my running experiece, I just have to share with you on the standard of the toilet facilities at the Toa Payoh Stadium. Being one of the oldest stadiums around, I expected the toilet facilities to be run-down and 'icky'. But I was genuinely surprised when I found out that the toilets were dry, well-ventilated and bright. Residents of Toa Payoh are one lucky lot. Stepping out of the toilet, I had a good view of the stadium itself. Looking around, I realised that Singaporeans are actually quite health conscious, as the number of joggers in the stadium number only around 40-50 people at any given time. There was also an carnival-like feel as there were many parents jogging with their little ones. Also in the jogging fraterinity were retirees, NS boys, students, and office workers. Somehow, it just feels good to be in the stadium partaking in the same activity with my fellow Singaporeans. I started off the session with a super slow pace. The rubberised tracks was really a joy to run on as it absorbed the impact of each of my strides. The first 400m was sort of a warm-up for me as I got my stiff leg muscles to loosen and warm up. Once sufficicently warmed-up, I adopted the fast-slow technique, where I jogged slowly for 100m before picking up my pace for the next 100m. Alternating my speed helped to regulate my breathing and pace as I am sure I would have stopped after 2 rounds if I maintained a 'medium' speed jog. After the 2nd lap, I entered into the 'zone'. This is a sensation when my body becomes attuned to the level of exertion I am imposing on it. All my actions became a fluid motion when my strides and breathing became synchronised. It was a joy to run then. My target was to complete a 2.4km run. No time limit was set since this was the first time I am timing myself after quite a long period of time. At the end, I took 30mins to complete that distance. I am not really disappointed as this is the start, and I believe the my timing will improve with time. My eventual target is to reach a level of fitness where I can complete the run within the IPPT standards, around 12mins. For today's run, I am looking to 28 to 29 minutes. I can't wait to put on my running shoes and start running this evening.

  • Wah...didn't know there's such a thing where my body can enter a 'zone' thingy one leh. I NEVER experienced that in all my lifetime of running the much dreaded 2.4km test.

  • Haha... maybe my mind and body was numb to the pain liao. So, that's the zone lolz.

    Frankly speaking, when I run, there usually comes a point in time when the body starts to feel 'right'. Every step seems easier and less strenuous. But it still doesn't mean that I don't get tired at the end of the run lah. I am still a human you know. :)

  • As a fan of long distance running, I can relate to entering the sphere of "the zone". It is a period whereby the body has conditioned itself to the relevant exercise and no longer feel coerced or any form of strain. Its amazing.

    At this point of time, I feel like I can continuing running ten thousand miles but of course after awhile, the body reaches the limit and fatigue starts to set in. I like to push my limits and see how far and how long I can go. That, however also takes a while to achieve as I gradually build up my stamina.

    At the rate you are going, I wouldn't be surprise if you hit your target earlier than expected :)