National Rally 2005 The National Day Rally by PM Lee Hsien Loong just ended. I must say that it is one of the most boring ones I ever heard. Was expecting a load of goodies since this is most probably the year for general election. And after the CPF cuts of 2003 and baby bonuses in 2004, I was expecting some biggie, in terms of goodies, this time. But I am sorely disappointed. I am more or less left out of the equation. Anyway, here's a gist of the speech. The rally speech talked about having our older folks working beyond 62 years of age. Here's how we will look like in office in our 70s. Yup, a little pale and frail looking, but what can you expect when all our energies have been poured into your career?

Then there was this part on our service quality. Tying in with his focus on education (which focused on poly and ITE) grads, 2 short clips were made about service quality in Singapore. Frankly speaking, the clips (made by one of the polys) were rather boring, and they ain't as funny as to exlicite even a twitch on my face. Till now, I am still mystified as to why the people in the audience guffawed. The airconditioning must be pumping in laughing gas the whole time. That probably explains why PM Lee laughed so much, albeit alone, during his speech. Wonder if the PM's aides adviced him that while jokes are good to have in a speech, the jokes must, first and foremost, be FUNNY!!!

Going back to the clips, I think the first one was titled Tao Gay Not Enough'. Set against the backdrop of a char kway teow stall, the clip showed a stall assistant with an atitude to boot. Anyway, I think the clips were poorly done and did a poor job of storytelling. Perhaps that's why PM had to give extra attention to the Polys this year. They should have chosen a Rojak stall setting with peanuts as part of the title. The clip should be titled "Peanuts Not Enough". I would derinitely ask for an extra helping of peanuts on my rojak. Guess the government is out of them this year. So, they only have tou gay. Hmmm if peanuts is $600,000, I wonder how much tou gays are worth? Anyway, too much peanuts is bad for health. High cholestoral, oil, fat blah blah blah. Look at where all the peanuts got T T Durai. A bad case of indigestion and swollen head. Hmmmm, wonder if our doctors know that peanuts cause an allergic reaction - big swollen head syndrome - in people when overconsume. Think Durai would be better off with a plate of nice crispy tou gay. Lots of fibre and nutrition. Definitely won't cause any allergic reaction. Here some nice tou gay for my fellow Singaporeans, courtesy of our government.

Enjoy while it lasts. For all I know, we might get this next year.

Yup. Seasame seeds, or 'zhi ma'. Black or white will make no difference. So, enjoy your tou gay while it lasts!