大长今 - Jewel of the Palace

I have always been a fan of Japanese drama and TV series. It has something to do with Oshin, the drama of a little girl who overcame everything to become a successful businesswoman with heart. Since then I enjoyed other drama series like Under One Roof , Hero, Long Vacation, and many others. What's kicked off this Japanese drama fanatism was no less driven by my support for Matsu Takako. Having said so much about what I liked, now I will talk about what I really like now.

大长今 (Jewel in the Palace or Da Chang Jin) is the latest Korean drama hitting our shores. I am not sure when cable started screening the series, but I was sure it was already running when the MRT trains were plastered with the advertisements. At that time, I just thought that it must be another one of those fads which will pass. Never did I know that I would become an avid follower of the series myself.

Actually, I have Mydaemon to thank for introducing me to this series. Prior to that my impression of all Korean series is that they are pretty crappy. Yes, it kind of a strong sentiment, but that's what I felt all along. I happen to be at Mydaemon's place , when Mydaemon tested the 大长今 dvds which she bought for her mum. I have to admit that I was hooked after watching the first few episodes. Since that fateful day, I have been watching 大长今 every Sunday. Now I am at the part where 长今 lost her ability to taste. Not sure what's going to happen next, but I am already looking forward to the next few episodes.

Going to sign off and pop the disc into the player now. Sundays have never been so good on the goggle box.

  • Watched the first few episides on cable ...it is pretty different from the other Korean drama (where incesuous relationships seem to be very popular!). Anyway, my fren has promised to lend me her DVDs during my maternity leave so I'll be catching this series as well.

  • Yes, dear, good to see you're finally becoming a convert to korean dramas, heh heh. See, I won't force you to watch crappy stuff. Only good stuff! :D

    P/S. I see you've started to chalk up keywords! lol. Good luck! :)

  • Haha... yeah, only the best recommendations pls.

    Sweet Lullaby, you have been pretty quiet. Preparing for the big day already? Do let me know when baby Helena arrives. :)

  • And yes, the show is 'bery' good ah. I am sure it will provide days of entertainment for you when you are free from feeding and caring for Helena. But be ready for soppy scenes and touching moments.