The Haven The posting by Batman on Chinese New Year and pesky relatives coupled with Luna Esa's comment will be the subject of my post today. Having graduated from the 'when are you getting married' class to 'when is your first baby coming' class, I can emphatise with both Batty and Luna. Guess I was lucky in the sense that my parents aren't the visiting sort, so I was protected from the barrage of questions from my relatives during CNY. To be fair, I think our relatives are genuinely concerned, in most cases, with our welfare. Thus, the incessant chanting of 'when are you getting married har", "you not getting younger you know", and "must invite me to your wedding when you are finally married hor". Things like that. Nonetheless, they are all irritating comments to all singles out there. So what can the single do about it? Here's Fieldmarshal's 10 Ways to Avoid the Venerable "When are you getting married" comment 1) Skip the country. Even crime-ridden Johore is better than a relative infested house! 2) Feign sickness and skip the visits. Do you know one can have a bad tummyache from too many softdrinks, or beer? Try it. 3) Offer the answer before relatives pop the question. Something like this, "No, not getting married this year. Don't think it will happen next year or even the year after". That'd set them off balance. 4) Shoot the question back to them and ask them when their sons or daughters are getting married. 5) Answer the question by saying that you will get married after your aunty (who's in her 50s) gets married. So there no need to ask again till old aunt Mary is married! 6) Bring a good book during the visit and park yourself in the host's toilet till the visit is over. But make sure the toilet is of ISO9000 cleanliness standard before doing this. 7) Play with younger cousins, somewhere away from all the chatter 8) Act dao. Ignore all questions related to marriage 9) Stuff your mouth with food and give an inaudible answer 10) Get married and stop thinking about this :P Haha... The last one ain't exactly a solution. Just ran out of ideas. Anyway, I was mulling over this during lunch and I thought, 'why don't I invite my single friends to my place over during CNY?' Make my place into a singles' haven, for those who are trying to avoid that dreaded question. Sounds like a great idea to me. Perhaps I will do just that next year. Well, only after I have visited my parents and in-laws. :)

«Oldest   ‹Older   1 – 200 of 226   Newer›   Newest» «Oldest ‹Older   1 – 200 of 226   Newer› Newest»