Death of the Handphone Without a word, my handphone decided to call it quits on me 2 days back. Since then I have been more or less'uncontactable'. There was, of course, the initial panic attack - "Where's my phone!!! Oh, it's here. Why is it not working!!!! - cause I have become, in my inner-eye, oh-so-self-important that I worried that I might miss some important calls. As the panic attack subsided, I suffered from the 'handphoneless' withdrawal symptom. It feels weird to stuff my hand into my pants pocket only to feel the emptiness of it as my now departed Sony Ericsson K700i rests in peace somewhere in my bag. Further on, as the withdrawal symptom subsides, I am starting to wean myself off the reliance on being contactable 24/7 and vice versa. I find it hard to believe that I actually enjoy being free from holding a handphone right now. The only thing I miss is that I can't contact Mydaemon when we are on the move. That's the major drawback. Apart from that, I find life so much more quieter and peaceful. No more calls from bosses using the "private" numbers, no more spam smses and no more pesty insurance agent trying to sell me another policy. Guess the honeymoon, being a honeymoon that it is, will have to end soon. The death of my trusty, but oft-buggy K700i, has given me an excuse to scout around for a new handphone. Yup, Fieldmarshal is on the prowl for his new gadget! Sorry K700i, it's not that I didn't love you, but life has to go on. Rest in peace and go to handphone heaven. A place when you will no longer have to endure days when I had bad breath or when I accidentally dropped you onto the floor. Since my first handphone in 1995/6, Sony Ericsson, then Ericsson , and Nokia have been my staple brands for handphones. But I am pretty tired with their models. Ericsson models are so formulaic while there's a Nokia phone staring at me wherever I turn. I want to have a phone that is not so common, as in it is used only by 1 person in a 1,000. Guess that's hard to achieve unless I get myself a, oh so bloody expensive, Vertu handphone. Don't think breaking my piggybank for that type of handphone is an option for me. Anyway, who needs a sapphire scratch-proof screen or diamond studded buttons anyway? After scouring the net and a Hi! Singtel shop during lunch, I have zoomed in on 2 models. The first is the Samsung D820. The slimmest sliding phone around. Sexy and sleek. Only drawback is that the camera only comes in 1.3 megapixels. Since I intend to post more photos and videos in my blog, the1.3 mp camera is sort of a drawback. My other option is the Motorola RAZR V3X. Very sexy and slim for a clamshell model. The main pull here is the 2mp camera on the phone. But I have heard of the famed, more like infamous, Motorola interface.

Sexy. Slim. Sleek.Sharp.

Not so slim. Still sleek. 2mp camera! It's a RAZR. Decisions. Descisions. Decisions. Note: Post was published 2 days late due to the inability to insert photos of my targeted phones. I have already got myself a new phone. Guess what's the model? :)

  • I LIKE THE SAMSUNG D820!!!!!

  • I don't think you got either phone...because without a plan,both will be quite ex.

    But if you did...between the two,if I were to make a guess,it's the RAZR.

  • Wah lau, you make me out like some cheapo! Have to admit that the phones are pretty ex, but there's always other means to get them cheap.

    Hey, you got it wrong. I got the D820. Anyway, what makes you think I will get the RAZR?

  • Yeah,how come u be a cheapo...who's the one who spent $500 on a S-E handphone?

    Anyway,I chose RAZR because I thought you always go for the quirkier brands...I just didn't figure a Superman T-shirt will come into the equation...

  • Is Motorola quirky? Thought the LG Chocolate line would be quirkier.

    The Superman T-shirt didn't come into the frame as the %#$#%^ salesperson forgot to give it to me. Didn't know about it until the next days when I went down to change for a new handset due to a glitch.

    Still some getting use to to the new phone after almost 12 years of Ericsson and Nokia.

  • Wah!!! You used HP for 12 years alreadi ar? Serious?? There'll be like in 1994 leh...got mobiles then meh?

    Aiyah, Samsung veri easy to get used to one....you got any free Superman pics inside the phone? =P

  • Think I got the years wrong. Should be 1996 I think. Was still using a pager in my 1st year in NUS. Still remember 'messaging' my friends using the numbers. Like "hi" was 14. And "bye" was 843. Those were the days.

  • This is very interesting site... »

  • Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!