Buaya Spotted in Yishun! What's green (or brown), has a long snout, tough leather skin, and rows of sharp teeth? Answer. The BUAYA!!! Not sure if I should say that I am lucky. But I saw a live buaya today. Please note I am not referring to the human buayas which we have come to associate this term with locally. The buaya that I saw was a real crocodile or alligator. Still cannot remember what's the difference between the 2 of them. Anyway, here's how I became one of the rare few people on the island to actually see a buaya outside a zoo/leather farm. Today, like any other boring working day, I was comfortably slouched against the glass barrier in our MRT trains. As the train was travelling past the huge body of water between Khatib and Yio Chu Kang stations, which I believe is either the Peirce (no idea if it is Upper or Lower) or Seletar reservoir, I looked out the window to take in the rather calming natural scenery. Everything looked as it should be. The water was there. A teenage angler with a rod was perched on the granite boulders. Light pink mosses were growing along the water's edge. A picture of normalcy in boring Singapore. As the MRT chugged along, I happened to look at the shoreline of the reservoir. What caught my eye was this floating log, or which I thought was one. However, as the train moved closer to the 'log', since the tracks skirt the reservoir, I was able to make out a snout and 2 shapes on either side, which looked like eyes to me. It was then when I realised that I was staring at a buaya that is floating along the bank of the reservoir. It was an interesting sight despite past reports of sightings of these leathery creatures being reported in other reservoirs.

The Yishun Buaya

Photo: This is similar to what I saw this morning. I was tempted to call up the police since the animal might become a danger, or nuisance, to the people who fish near the reservoir. In the end, I decided not to call the men in blue since it might not be their business to deal with buayas of the non-human type. For his sake, I hope the boy with the rod is sharp enough to notice that the log floating by is a buaya and not a piece of driftwood. Being the nasty old me, the only way to find out the well-being of the kid is to read tomorrow's papers. If there's no "Kid mauled by Yishun Buaya" headline in tomorrow's Straits Time, I assume the boy is safe and sound somewhere. Here are some tips which I think I saw on National Geographic/Animal Planet on what to do when faced with a fearsome buaya: 1. RUN!!! 2. RUN!!! 3. RUN!!!

  • Your advice is very helpful

  • It's Seletar Reservoir. And I have seen warning signs posted there that say "Beware of crocodiles".

    I was quite amused at the signs in the past but now I see there is wisdom in those words. Those National Parks people sure weren't bluffing

  • My friend lives at Yishun la..

    Happy New Year!
    (Married le, got red packet not...)

    KIDDING!!! Ha =D

    Take care.

  • Got red packet. But only in 2007. Since I am only getting married in Apr. haha...

    Hope your friend ain't one of those who frequently visits the reservoir. Now I will take the PUB signs more seriously.